Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hola - darting across the border

HOLA - un día a través de la frontera (a day across the border)

We've been hearing quite a bit from friends and new aquaintances about the many benefits of crossing over into Mexico for services and products that are, ok I'll say it, outrageously overpriced here in the states. Now that we are retired, dental insurance is a luxury item that, well frankly we won't be purchasing once my current policy ends next Fall. With friends having done the research and found competent dentists in Los Algodones we made appointments to get our teeth cleaned...$30/each and it took all of 20 minutes. Latest technology, nicely appointed offices and I am certain that once it was determined that I didn't speak or understand Spanish - I was discussed at lenght (grin)!  So now we can spread the word on the dental office/services we received.

Once we were done, we set out to explore the town and attempt to find the patio restaurant for lunch from our visit 10 years ago with friends to have some lunch. We didn't find that one, but the lunch we did have was just fine. We did find a lovely spa services courtyard, which also have some interesting and unusal metalart animals that, if I'd had a way to travel with them, would have been in the truck.



 
 

The owner took our photo, all the time trying to sell us on getting massages. 

Just across the border - advertising billboards for dentists...and about every 3rd person on the street asks you if you are looking for dental services.

Giant pinatas. This guy (dental barker) was originally to the right of this post and when he saw that I was taking a picture asked me to take his too....and then asked to see it to make sure I had.

I came home with 3 pieces of pottery and yes, one has a face on it...It's a Sun with heat waves and will be put out in the garden once at home. Wish I had taken a photo of it prior to the "wrapping for travel"...live and learn.

Adios, amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for reading my blog. Hope you enjoyed it!